My recruiter told me this... (about MEPS, DEPing in, MOSs, etc...) INPUT PLEASE!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My recruiter told me this... (about MEPS, DEPing in, MOSs, etc...) INPUT PLEASE!

So I go to the recruiting office today to fill out all of my info/birth certificate/SS card/ etc, all the paper work. He says im going to MEPS tomorrow (hmm... i should sleep lol).

BUT, he said I'm not swearing in at all. All I'm doing is going over my physical again, making sure everything is correct, and being asked questions by a Marine in the office (I was in MEPS and took a physical when I signed w/ another branch at first 6 months ago, didnt ship bc I wanted USMC. NOW, I'm hear. thats the deal with my physical)

He said they already have "over signed" 2 people this month and have signed 8 already for January. (goal of 6 DEPers a month, and the MAX they can DEP is 8?) This is why I cant swear in / DEP in, because of too many people...!?!? Well, I'm pretty much stuck until I can DEP in on Feb 2nd (yes, sad)
    with that being said.......... does anybody know anyway around this for me to be DEP'd in sooner?

ADDITIONALLY...... regarding MOSs. I wanted Intel, and that's pretty much all I want. BUT, once again, was told something I was not hoping for. I was told there weren't any Intel spots "open" for the district area (Florida) and there are only 3 available in the Nation now. The recruiter said they MIGHT be able to grab the slot from the other areas that have it open.

and with this being said... does anybody have info on my MOS situation as well?

going to bed, Marines! will check this in the morning before I leave for MEPS. Thank you!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    If you are signing up for USMC Reserve duty then I can see the limited slots and timing.

As far as MEPs, The Corps doesn't assume that nothing adverse happened with your health in the past 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    If you are signing up for USMC Reserve duty then I can see the limited slots and timing.

As far as MEPs, The Corps doesn't assume that nothing adverse happened with your health in the past 6 months.
    oh I forgot to mention... this is for ACTIVE duty.

so the job nnot being "available" is a bunch of bull?

he seemed pretty pushy on Crypto Linguist or Accounting in a way too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I went through MEPS the Marine recruits were sorted out from the rest of the mob and actually took a different physical than the rest. Kinda like boot camp I guess. If you joined the Army and then cross decked to the Air Force you would not have to attend Air Force basic training. Cross deck to the Marines and you would find yourself starting with boot camp. The same holds true for MEPs you would have to take the Marine MEPS physical as the others won't hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolerance View Post
    So I go to the recruiting office today to fill out all of my info/birth certificate/SS card/ etc, all the paper work. He says im going to MEPS tomorrow (hmm... i should sleep lol).

BUT, he said I'm not swearing in at all. All I'm doing is going over my physical again, making sure everything is correct, and being asked questions by a Marine in the office (I was in MEPS and took a physical when I signed w/ another branch at first 6 months ago, didnt ship bc I wanted USMC. NOW, I'm hear. thats the deal with my physical)

He said they already have "over signed" 2 people this month and have signed 8 already for January. (goal of 6 DEPers a month, and the MAX they can DEP is 8?) This is why I cant swear in / DEP in, because of too many people...!?!? Well, I'm pretty much stuck until I can DEP in on Feb 2nd (yes, sad)
    with that being said.......... does anybody know anyway around this for me to be DEP'd in sooner?

ADDITIONALLY...... regarding MOSs. I wanted Intel, and that's pretty much all I want. BUT, once again, was told something I was not hoping for. I was told there weren't any Intel spots "open" for the district area (Florida) and there are only 3 available in the Nation now. The recruiter said they MIGHT be able to grab the slot from the other areas that have it open.

and with this being said... does anybody have info on my MOS situation as well?

going to bed, Marines! will check this in the morning before I leave for MEPS. Thank you!
    You are thinking like a civilian, worrying over getting all the choices you want, and trying to manipulate the system, to suit your preferences, etc.

You might want to consider the possibility that the Marine Corps knows what it is doing at least a little better than you know what it is doing, and just try getting with the program.

Don't worry... once you get into Boot Camp, the Marine Corps will teach how and when to think.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Walking Man is right, you are thinking like a civilian; because you are one and this is the last chance you will have to make decisions regarding your future for the next few years. If they can't get you what you want-wait awhile. Why would you want to go to S. Carolina in February any way? Wait for decent weather and don't let the recruiter rush you into something you don't want. At Parris Island it is too late to change it Recruiters will bull**** you into doing what they want, no matter how much they seem to LOVE you, they are looking out for themselves first. Not to say thay are a bunch of vultures, they will make sure the Corps comes first though, and whatever needs they have next, then you come into play. The only leverage you have is up until you have a written contract and swear in . Good luck!

As mentioned earlier, you are thinking like a civilian. But at this point thats ok. The Corps is going to offer the jobs that it is slacking in before they give in to what you want. Keep fighting for what you want but when it comes down to it you may have to choose a different MOS. Have a couple lined up just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan View Post
    You are thinking like a civilian, worrying over getting all the choices you want, and trying to manipulate the system, to suit your preferences, etc.

You might want to consider the possibility that the Marine Corps knows what it is doing at least a little better than you know what it is doing, and just try getting with the program.

Don't worry... once you get into Boot Camp, the Marine Corps will teach how and when to think.
    actually yes, im thinking about my wants, but since you're unaware I've been through the BSing with recruiters before and i KNOW some lie to fill in their "quota" or what not, period.

I was already in a fiasco before w/ army recruiters and it took months to get out of that. I'll be optimistic and hope my job opens up. in the end, it's 4 years of doing it, so im pretty sure ANYBODY would want the job they're interested in, or they wouldnt ship

Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post
    Walking Man is right, you are thinking like a civilian; because you are one and this is the last chance you will have to make decisions regarding your future for the next few years. If they can't get you what you want-wait awhile. Why would you want to go to S. Carolina in February any way? Wait for decent weather and don't let the recruiter rush you into something you don't want. At Parris Island it is too late to change it Recruiters will bull**** you into doing what they want, no matter how much they seem to LOVE you, they are looking out for themselves first. Not to say thay are a bunch of vultures, they will make sure the Corps comes first though, and whatever needs they have next, then you come into play. The only leverage you have is up until you have a written contract and swear in . Good luck!
    I agree with the recruiters LOL.

and im going now because i finally got released from the Army Reserves' DEP and i wanna get on w/ my life already. Parris island isnt THAT bad now. little cold at the beginning, but then when April/May comes around the corner it's amazing weather (better than that summer HEAT!)

Quote Originally Posted by KawiGunny View Post
    As mentioned earlier, you are thinking like a civilian. But at this point thats ok. The Corps is going to offer the jobs that it is slacking in before they give in to what you want. Keep fighting for what you want but when it comes down to it you may have to choose a different MOS. Have a couple lined up just in case.
    Will do this. Excellent advice, Gunny. What other MOSs do you think would be interesting if they don't have 0231s open?

I'm not really sure I'd be interested in others. I'll keep checking the MOSs out though, there must be something.

(I just find it a LITTLE coincidental that a recruiter just DEP'd somebody in for Crypto Linguist and, out of nowhere, my recruiter offered me that.............................) I'm gonna guess the Corps needs Crypto people!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolerance View Post
    Will do this. Excellent advice, Gunny. What other MOSs do you think would be interesting if they don't have 0231s open?

I'm not really sure I'd be interested in others. I'll keep checking the MOSs out though, there must be something.

(I just find it a LITTLE coincidental that a recruiter just DEP'd somebody in for Crypto Linguist and, out of nowhere, my recruiter offered me that.............................) I'm gonna guess the Corps needs Crypto people!
    Only you can say what would be interesting to you. We don't know you. Read up on as many as you can and then prioritize them in order that you prefer.

As far as you guessing the Corps needs Crypto people...... you probably would have won a lot of money if you had placed a bet on that.

Ok check this out, everything your recruiter is telling you is correct about space available to DEP in. As far as the MOS you want, it is not available as far as I know anywhere right now in my neck of the woods. What your recruiter is doing for you, by having you go to MEPS and just Qualify Not Enlist (QNE), is securing your chance of getting your job choice. He is wouldn't be able to secure that job for you if you weren't already qualified, so he is really helping you out.

I skipped about half the posts here... first you said you have two weeks before you can even swear in.... second you said that maybe they can get one of those opeings for your MOS.... fat chance kid... those will be gone by the time I write this...

Quote Originally Posted by E6Meat View Post
    Ok check this out, everything your recruiter is telling you is correct about space available to DEP in. As far as the MOS you want, it is not available as far as I know anywhere right now in my neck of the woods. What your recruiter is doing for you, by having you go to MEPS and just Qualify Not Enlist (QNE), is securing your chance of getting your job choice. He is wouldn't be able to secure that job for you if you weren't already qualified, so he is really helping you out.
    Actually after gathering more info and realize these recruiter aren't shady like other ones I have dealt with, I realized I'm being told NOTHING but the truth, which i LOVE. I would delete this thread if I had the chance actually

additionally.. check your PM inbox

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    I skipped about half the posts here... first you said you have two weeks before you can even swear in.... second you said that maybe they can get one of those opeings for your MOS.... fat chance kid... those will be gone by the time I write this...
    Yes I realized that

My recruiter even said "there are other offices who still have DEP spots open for January, so you can sign with them." BUT, I've been dealing with this recruiter for over a year. I'm about my principles as well and I wont ditch these guys for some other station.

From what I'm hearing from other so far... the job I was offered instead (Crypto Linguist) isn't so bad. I'm still not 100% sure on what it is exactly, but I'm hoping to find out

Thread Information